Welcome: An Introduction

Sharing the insights I discover as I explore and experience the mystery that is our reality. Join me in my journey and share yours.




Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Letting Go: Saying Goodbye to my Grandmother (A Tribute)



I always found the love that my grandparents shared amazing and inspiring.
                                                                          
                                                                           She was always beautiful.



                                                                          I had joy watching my children enjoy and love her.







"I'll be in heaven soon. Please don't cry, or you'll make me cry."

"I won't." I promised, inwardly wincing as she coughed. Her eyes widened as she sought with desperation to take in the lukewarm air of the hospital room but came short from receiving any satisfactory amount. The air that my lungs almost took for granted hers painfully struggled to breathe in.

"I know you will be okay." I said, looking deep into her eyes. Believing in my heart what I was saying was true though realizing that we were both probably having two completely different ideas of what death meant and what heaven might be. Those differences mattered little in this moment. What mattered most was being there for her. Surrounding her with love and compassion. 

I swallowed back the grief of knowing that the grandmother I had loved for thirty years was soon going to withdraw from her physical body and I'd no longer have the warm hand I now held. I know it was probably a selfish thought.  I couldn't help, though,  but mourn within at the thought that I'd soon no longer be able to look into her beautiful eyes for wisdom, love and comfort again. I'd soon no longer see that faint hint of mischievousness glimmer in them as she'd steal glances over at my grandfather across a crowded room. Ah, the love the two of them shared!  If only there was more of it in this world things would look a lot different.

I could perceive that she was on the verge of a journey and I felt both saddened by her nearing departure, wishing nothing more to tether her spirit to the dock it had been anchored to for so long, wanting her to continue to reside at the same harbor we had shared for so many years while also feeling a bit of excitement for her. I knew she was about to enter into the spiritual wholly unencumbered by the physical. Leaving the body that had betrayed her behind.  An inevitable transition which I could not interfere with as all around sat those of us who loved her reflecting with the same sad acceptance upon the reality that was now unfolding. I knew this time was coming for a couple of years now as her health has slowly been worsening. In all honesty, though, up until these last few weeks I thought there was more time. Maybe even another Christmas. I don't write the script though and it is pure futility resisting the direction the river of life chooses to flow.

Memories flashed through my consciousness as I sat there holding her hand. I thought about the countless Saturday night sleepovers I had in my youth. My sister and I in our pajamas curled up under one of the huge afghans she had lovingly knit together with bowls of ice cream sundaes that we knew our mother would never approve of eating at such a late hour. Scenes flickered like an old movie reel through my mind.

We always  waited for my grandfather to come home from working with prisoners at the city's jail. My grandmother's secret to a happy marriage when I asked her a few days before she passed: never go to bed without telling your spouse you love them and never go to bed angry with one another. No matter how long it takes don't go to bed with a seed of bitterness planted. Uproot it so that only love is left. (paraphrasing) I will never forget how we all embraced my grandfather as he entered the door. A small merry band heralding his return. The pungent smell of prison still on his clothes. I breathed it in, savoring the scent unique only to that one moment.

All was always good at my grandmother's. There were never harsh words spoken. There was always such a feeling of love; acceptance and playful joy emanated from every corner of their home. We'd laugh, talk, share. I always felt safe there. I remember the day the twin towers were struck and came tumbling down and all of America walked around fragmented, dazed and confused. My first instinct was to leave college and drive forty minutes to my grandparents home. It was there where I sat with them both sharing coffee and a healthy dose of comfort and familiarity.

I could almost smell the salt air of the ocean as I felt her hand squeezing mine. It was warmer than usual as she was growing feverish.  My mind reflected on all the summer vacations I shared with both my grandparents, discovering what treasures the ocean brought up in its persistent surf crashing upon the shore and now thinking sadly of the precious treasure that was now being swept away from me. That was going to merge with the great infinite unknown- life's greatest mystery-death.  One I believe that promises bliss and union and is nothing to fear. I looked at my grandmother who now closed her eyes and thought about how she had always met life's challenges with grace and strength. She was a woman who resolutely and with passion helped keep a marriage blazing with love for more than sixty years with my grandfather and helped raise three strong daughters. 

I continued to visit her at the hospital. Love surrounded her continually as we family members planned out our days and nights to make sure at every moment she'd have at least one hand to hold. The last time I saw her I just remember kissing her face and hands. It was as if I couldn't get enough of her at that moment because I knew it might be the last one. She was so very tired and her eyes hardly opened. The morphine drip had been in place for nearly a full day by then. She opened her eyes and made tremendous effort to squeeze my hand one last time and tell me that she loved me. I poured out "I love you's" to her, thanking her for being the best grandmother to me and great-grandmother to my children. I wished  her well telling her that she was about to take the most amazing journey and that God would always be there with her. That she would know true peace and her suffering was soon to end.  My soul reached out to hers in longing, not wanting to let go but the hands of peace cupped themselves around my heart and drew me back as it was time to leave. I had the feeling that I was leaving her for the last time but the hope that perhaps I would see her again the following day.

A little after four the next morning right before I was about to rise for chanting and meditation I received a call from my mother that she had passed. I had my cell phone by my bed and crawled back in it afterwards drawing the covers up high around me and unabashedly allowed my tears to soak them. I know there is a time for everything. Without darkness we would not know of light and without death we would not recognize the miracle of life. Death is a fate none can bypass. I used to picture it as a curtain closing upon us marking the end. Now I see it as more the opening of a curtain revealing the beginning of a new way. My grandmother a couple of days before she passed would keep telling us that she saw a beautiful gate opening to what was just pure light. Members of hospice would describe her state as having one foot on earth and one foot in the world that laid beyond our senses. I know now that she is on the other side of that gate and it brings me joy that she is now free of the pain she had to endure for so long. The memories of her will always keep her alive in all of our hearts.

This post is intended to not only reflect my thoughts and reflections towards losing my grandmother but also to serve as a tribute towards her. To recognize what an amazing person she was and how she caused gardens of love to blossom wherever her feet tread. I usually only include one picture in each post but I feel inspired to include more this time around so as to share a little of the person my grandmother was with all who happen by  in attempts of  honoring her memory. Hope you enjoy them. (Note: blogger is giving me issues so pardon the format)

Thoughts? I always love hearing them! Please leave them in the comments section. Thank you!

40 comments:

  1. She's so beautiful and by the way you have described her, she lived her life full well. Your reflections on death have deepened with this experience.

    Thank you for sharing the memories you've had with her.

    Hugs and prayers sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely had a full life indeed. :) Thank you for your prayers and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Best writing yet, obviously since it was so personal and heartfelt. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing your tender tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much David for stopping by. It was my pleasure to share. :)

      Delete
  3. My tears flowed as I read this beautiful, touching tribute to your loving, amazing grandmother, Jessica. She had such a powerful impact, it seems, upon everyone she ever knew. What a legacy of love she has left you!
    May her soul rejoice in Heaven.
    Blessings to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Martha. She definitely left a legacy of love, sewing it in the hearts of all she met. I remember nothing but sweetness and love from her.
      ~ many blessings

      Delete
  4. My mother passed away recently. I could relate to your desire to commemorate your grandmother. When our loved ones pass on, their gifts seem to shine more brilliantly and we want to pay tribute to the lives we knew as so special.

    You did a really good job here. I'm sure your grandmother is smiling from her heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myrna for your kind comments. I am so sorry for the loss of your mother.
      ~ blessings

      Delete
  5. What a lovely tribute. I never knew my grandparents--they had all died before I was born. How fortunate to have had a grandmother for whom you can write such lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Galen for stopping by. Yes, I feel very blessed I was able to be so close to my grandmother and share so many good times with her. My paternal grandmother I never got to know that well and passed away in my adolescence. To be able to have lots of memories and even have shard times with her with my kids means a lot.

      ~ blessings

      Delete
  6. Jessica, what a beautiful and moving tribute to your grandmother! She appears to have been such a wise and loving woman that I can well understand how this makes you both sadder to loser her and more reassured that she is now in a better place than you'd be otherwise. But the reassurance will hopefully become more and more dominant over time.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful recollections and thoughts with us, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure to share Steve. Thanks so much for stopping by. Yeah, it's hard to lose someone that you love so much and that had such a profoundly positive impact on those she came across. I just got home from her services a short while ago and the impact she had in people's lives showed as the number of people that came swelled so much some had to stand during the sitting down part.
      Thanks again. :)
      ~ namaste

      Delete
  7. Dear Jessica,

    Thank you for sharing your grandmother, and this tribute, with us. Your words speak to us of her physicality, but also of her soul and her dedication to her task.

    My thoughts are with you at this sad time,

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Casey for stopping by and for your kind words and thoughts. It means a lot. :)
      ~ blessings

      Delete
  8. your words impelled me to write for my own grandmother. i lost her when i was fourth grade. nice combing of past, we do live our own life through them.God may rest her soul in peace, in heaven. amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarfraz. So sorry about the loss of your grandmother. Though it might have been years ago , the loss of those we love and the space it leaves in our hearts are never quite filled. Wishing you peace.
      ~ blessings

      Delete
  9. Jessica,
    Very touching. I feel the love, encompassed in these words. I never knew my grandparents, and my children never met my parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy for stopping by. Sorry you never got the chance to now your grandparents.
      Wishing you much peace.

      Delete
  10. Myself and my maternal grandmother, we shared a wonderful bond...I was her nurse maid...always by her side, helping her and taking care of her needs. She trusted me for doing all that. It has been more than 20 years since I lost her, yet, I can feel the vacuum in my heart.
    Wonderful and touching post. A heartfelt tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Janu. So sorry for the loss of your grandmother...She was certainly blessed to have you helping and being there for her.

      ~ Blessings

      Delete
  11. This is a beautiful tribute in honoring your grandmother. She was not only beautiful but very wise. I am sorry for your loss. I'm sending love and prayers to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How are you doing Jessica? I hope you are staying away from the ISKCON temple, for reasons already explained. They are very, very evil people. I have met no people that are more low class and horrible than ISKCON members.

    At the same time, I hope you are following the positive, and chanting and reading Prabhupada's books, that is if you choose to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing well Anonymous, thank you for asking. Any spiritual paths and places I pursue I write about here...so feel free to come back and visit and see for yourself. :)

      I continue to read from all different authors and sources, including Srila Prabhupada...and chanting has become a steadfast and integral part of my spiritual discipline, which I had already explored it before visiting the temple.

      ~ namaste

      Delete
  13. Dear Jessica,

    A beautiful tribute for a beautiful woman -- Your grandmother is absolutely gorgeous, inside & out!

    I see your domain name, Ascending the Hills, in a new light this morning.

    Thank you for sharing such a personal & inspiring reflection. Holding you in my heart as you heal...XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda for your kind words. :) Much love going your way, as always! :)

      Delete
  14. We always hold more tightly when we know we have to leave. This post brings in the emotion of holding tightly before the inevitable release. touched

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerly, so true. Letting go of those we love can be one of life's most toughest crossroads we find ourselves at.

      Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing your experience, Jessica. It made me recall the passing of my own grandmother. I'm so glad you had such a loving and beautiful woman as a role model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your grandmother Corinne. They certainly are blessings in our lives. I am so glad I cherished every moment with her that I could. I hold fast to the memories we shared.
      ~ blessings

      Delete
  16. Beautiful post Jessica....I am now undergoing a very hard phase in my life! Lost my dear father recently... Memories are coming, each minute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jovy, I am so sorry for the loss of your father. I pray for peace to enter into your heart and may joy blossom when memories spring up in your thoughts.
      ~ blessings

      Delete
  17. Such a beautifully written tribute to a wonderful woman. I am so glad you had her for the time you did, her love will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jan. :) She was wonderful indeed. Bless you.

      Delete
  18. She was very beautiful, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am late to this post, but am so glad you gave voice and tribute to your wonderful Grandmother. All the memories you shared made me smile; I could feel the love you felt for her as I read every word. Grandparents are such a special blessing and it is heartwarming to read of your beautiful connection to this special soul.

    Years ago, we went through this same "long, slow goodbye" with my Uncle Ted, who was the closest thing to a father that I had in this life. I was fortunate to spend time with him during the final year of his life, when he was in Hospice care. I was very ill myself at that time, and he and I would spend the days together, taking naps as we both needed. Sometimes during these naps, I would awaken and hear him talking to people...I would hear faint voices and conversation, yet when I opened my eyes, it was just the two of us there. He was experiencing what you described your Grandmother doing...having one foot in each reality, and being given the chance to communicate with loved ones who had passed before. It was an experience that I will never forget, as it affirmed that where he was going, others were waiting who loved him and us. And it gave me peace and a way of acceptance, although saying goodbye is never easy for us who remain here in the physical plane.

    This post has brought me peace during a difficult time, Jessica. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful part of your life with us. <3

    - Dawn

    ReplyDelete