Welcome: An Introduction

Sharing the insights I discover as I explore and experience the mystery that is our reality. Join me in my journey and share yours.




Thursday, January 5, 2012

No Help Wanted: A Book Review


 



Bill Huffhine's new book, "No Help Wanted: Becoming You When You Can't Work For Them", is one that is sure to  speak deeply to the experience of most readers. It is a book much needed and applicable to the modern times we find ourselves in and has, if read receptively, the ability to help one transform their life.  

Huffhine explores the scenario that most of us are now facing or coming to face; a dull and insecure future that doesn't include the manifestations of our inner passions and dreams. How did we get to a place where we seem to just be another gear in society's relentless machine of mediocrity, losing all sense of our inner self? By letting others define us and losing touch with the small voice, long buried, that lies within the deep recesses of our subconscious.
 


Huffhine challenges the way our society has squashed the innovative drive from individuals who were once encouraged to cultivate their specific talents offering unique contributions to our country. The rediscovery of who we are truly meant to be as individuals will not only have an undoubtedly positive effect on the quality of our own lives and that of our families, but will help revitalize and put life  back into a nation whose vibrance and stability is waning. 

"Something marvelous will happen as you come back to life. You are about to discover that the person you were created to be is precisely what we need most today in our society.
America needs no more employees. We’re full up. We do, however, have a desperate and endless need for thinkers, creators, builders, and caregivers. Which of these have you just discovered hiding in the shadows of your reality?" p. 27

In a very personable and direct style, Huffhine engages readers in  introspective exercises in which they can begin to rediscover their inner talents. These practical applications provide ways in which one can unearth within themselves the essence of their true identity. Huffhine then offers practical suggestions as to how to take your dreams and passions and let them work for you.  He reveals ways in how you can transform your life from one in which you work for others to one in which your passion becomes the source of your sustainability.
 


No Help Wanted flows well and is written in a very down to earth and engaging style that catches the reader's immediate attention leaving them at the end with a sense of inspired hope. It is well worth the read and can be purchased in the form of an e-book at Amazon.com for only one dollar, making it very affordable.

This isn't the first book I've read from Bill Huffhine. His book, Confessions of a Christian Dropout was one of my all-time favorite reads of 2011. You can check out my review for that book here: http://ascendingthehills.blogspot.com/2011/08/confessions-of-christian-dropout-book.html

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them! Please leave them in the comments section. Thank you!

27 comments:

  1. Jessica, you couldn’t have said it any better. How did we get to a place where we seem to just be another gear in society's relentless machine of mediocrity, losing all sense of our inner self? We became this way because we were programmed by the system to be machines.

    Here’s the brief review I posted on Amazon.

    A Must Read in Today's Uncertain World
    Bill Huffhine's cutting-edge book, No Help Wanted, is sure to be a roadmap for individuals who are seeking their unique calls in life. From the problems our world is facing today, to the ultimate solutions, No Help Wanted is a must-read for all those who know deep down that they are more than they have become. This timely book is written for the thinker, the individual, the creator, the innovator, those who desire more to life than the nine to five grind, but have yet to find the courage to exit the mouse wheel and move forward. A most inspiring read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review Debra! Thanks so much for sharing it hear. I also found his book to be deeply inspiring. It doesn't surprise me that you enjoyed it as well! :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review of what sounds like an engaging book, Jessica.

    I confess that tried to read "No Help Wanted" sometime back but turned off when the author talked early on about the "nanny state," which, to my mind, is a politically regressive buzz term for misguidedly seeking to turn this country into a social Darwinian jungle.

    Another misgiving I have about it, from reading your review, is that I think relatively few people can forsake "regular" jobs for creative self-employment and realistically hope to earn a real living.

    Yet, some of us may be able to do this, and it's good to keep this possibility in mind as regular jobs continue to be outsourced to other countries and subsumed by new technologies, and Congress remains polarized into paralysis excepting budget cutting at the most counterproductive time.

    Whether we like it or not and even though we could do better, it looks like our country IS increasingly devolving into a Darwinian jungle that will require us to find innovative ways to simply survive, and perhaps Bill's book can help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Steve for stopping by and for your thoughtful response. It definitely was an engaging book. There are more to come in the series and perhaps they will further approach some of the dilemmas many of us find ourselves in that block us from finding ourselves independently self-employed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jessica!

    You did it again. You poured your heart and mind into a thoughtful book review and did a wonderful job at capturing the essence of the message I've tried to convey. Thanks so much for that!

    Debra: Thank you as well my friend for your kind words and positive review on Amazon. It's great to have folks like you and Jessica in my corner.

    Steve: Thank you as well sir for giving my book a try. I hope you'll pick it up again and see it through to the end. I will, respectfully, offer two corrections to your critique posted here. First, the book in no way advocates that people should simply walk away from their jobs. This book was written by someone who has endured the pain of job loss via corporate downsizing specifically for people who are now currently unemployed and trying to figure out what comes next. The premise of the book is that now is their chance to dig deep and explore, without distraction, who they were created to be and the shadow they were meant to cast upon the world around them. And secondly, it's not a book simply about pursuing creative endeavors. As the book progresses, readers will find that I've identified and write about four categories that most of us tend to fall in. Are you a thinker? Are you a creator? Are you a builder? Or are you a caregiver? Though I'm sure my thinking here is not exhaustive, I think these are four pretty common molds that people fall in to. Thanks again for starting to read. I hope you'll finish.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow sounds like a good book to read and share.....Thank you for the review!!! Gods Peace

    ReplyDelete
  7. by the way are you signed up to receive books to review? if so where online? I do booksneeze and blogging for books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a book that I may be able to get interested in. Thanks Jessica for a wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No one can do this better than you do it Jessica,full justice to the book...it sounds like an interesting read...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always do such a wonderful justice when you do a review Jessica. I have to admit it wouldn't of been one of my preferred reads because I didn't understand what the title truly portrayed and I'd not heard about it here either. However, saying that you've given me some real food for thought and your engaging style of drawing me means this is now on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful review, Jessica! Even for one like me who is pursuing her heart's desire, your description of Bill's book truly makes me want to read it.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Bill!

    It means a lot that you enjoyed my review of your book. I always wish to do justice and convey the message without divulging too much on the details, as to leave the reader intrigued.

    I hope you sell tons of copies! This is definitely a book everyone will want to read.

    ~Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lyons,

    No, I'm not signed up to do book reviews..but I definitely would love to be! :) I either find my books on my own or through networking with friends and acquaintances who have published books. I'm going to check out the two sites you mentioned. ;) Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed the review and hope you buy the book! ;)
    ~blessings and love

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anna, I know you would love it! Thank you so much for stopping by. :) ~many blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alpana...It is definitely an interesting read. Thank you for the compliment...it's encouraging. :) ~blessings

    ReplyDelete
  16. SJ...I guess it all comes down to that old saying..."You can't judge a book by its cover". ;) Some covers and titles appeal to some, while not so much to others, and yet the content within might apply and resonate deeply with all of them. Perhaps that's the purpose of the review...to give the reader a glimpse of what lays within.

    Thanks so much for stopping by. :)

    ~Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  17. Martha, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the review! ~blessings and peace

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jessica, that was a brilliant review! It was so well said that I just purchased the book. Thanks honey pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Leah..thank you for stopping by and I'm so glad you purchased the book! I know you'll enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jessica you always write review that are honest and not bias... I may just go out and get this book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmm sounds like an interesting book and thx for the review ..will try this !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Savira and Sheril...I know both of you would find it inspiring. Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jessica, you have done a great job with this review! Very professional and well written!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've got me convinced, Jessica. I'm buying the book. Will let you know how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Jessica.
    You've done Mr. Huffhine proud with this review.
    Very nicely expressed.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Doing book reviews is one of your forte Jessica and it attracts many to read those books. Here's hoping I could widen my space to different views.

    I'll start rereading Bill's writings.

    ReplyDelete