Welcome: An Introduction

Sharing the insights I discover as I explore and experience the mystery that is our reality. Join me in my journey and share yours.




Saturday, October 30, 2010

1 Corinthians 1:26-30 (ESV) w. commentary

1 Corinthians 1:26-30 (ESV)



 26For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption.


















Just some thoughts on these verses.  I use Mother Theresa with this verse because I wanted to point out the fact that God uses those sometimes we'd least expect to make great change.  It doesn't matter if you are old, it doesn't matter your race, it doesn't matter if you are disabled in some way, it doesn't matter what socioeconomic background you were born and raised in, it doesn't matter your education. You just have to be you, completely you, relying completely on God. God seeks those with humble hearts to use and if we allow God to work through us, we too can acheive great things through Him who knows no bounds to greatness.  

God raised up the weak to be mighty through Him so that no man could boast and bring glory to his name but that all the glory would go to God.  When we allow God to work through us, giving Him all the glory and blessing His name and His Kingdom we also become living testimonies to the power of His Spirit.

It's a blog, so I'm going to share a little something for a moment, because I think maybe others might be able to relate. Sometimes I feel restless because I don't think that I'm doing enough to serve God and humanity. I would love to do a lot more but in this season of my life I have small children and sometimes my resources and time are limited. I know there will be other times in my life when I can do more, but I long to have God work through me to my fullest. If you find yourself in a similiar position for whatever it's worth, this is the conclusion that I've come to: I might not be able to help in soup kitchens every week or do the community service I would desire but I can, with God's help, be a source of warmth and light, encouragment and inspiration to my children and those around me. Now many times I seem to be the exact opposite, but those are times when I'm relying on myself, and not on God. The point is, that perhaps sometimes it's the small things that make some of the most profound differences. 

In fact, it was Mother Theresa who said,
"It is not how much you do, but how much love you put into the doing that matters....If we really want to love others, we must first begin to love one another in our own home. Love begins at home, and so from here-from our own home-love will spread to my neighbor, in the street I live, in the town I live, in the whole world."
I remember reading one of John Piper's books where he talked about a Christian writer, who he never named, but from what he said she was very influencial and many respected her. When she died someone asked one of her sons how it was to have such a mother as she, and he confessed that it was utterly horrible! She was the most wretched person he had known, always bitter, always judgemental and not pleasant to be with by any means. She had extended her love, the truth she had discovered in God's word, to the world but not to her own family. How sad. I pray that that is never the case for myself or any of those that read my blog, or any of our brothers in sisters in Christ. It is a good reminder to check ourselves every once in awhile, I know I certainly need to!

Anyways, I don't want this post to go too long. May God's peace be with you this day and may His word dwell richly within your spirit.

~blessings.
 




2 comments:

  1. 26For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27

    I hope and pray thay any and all success I have is in basic obedience to the Lord.

    Happy Sunday to you and family.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...amen to that...a prayer all should pray...it definitely helps keep perspective...keeps our priorities in place... I've learned personally that a lot starts to happen in one's faith when one develops a more obedient spirit :)God starts to really work through His children who have humble hearts!
    Thank you...a happy Sunday to you as well :) ~blessings

    ReplyDelete